I've modified this from the 'old family' recipe my Kashmiri roommate taught me.
This is really easy but takes about an hour.
2 cred lentils (you can use split peas but they take longer)
1 bncilantro (chopped)
1⁄4 cvegetable oil
4 clvgarlic (chopped)
1 Tginger (grated)
2chili peppers (green or other)
1 tcumin (ground)
1 tcoriander (ground)
1 1⁄2 tturmeric
- Boil 7 C water in large pot
- Add lentils, cilantro stalks and half of the onion
- Simmer for 20 minutes uncovered over medium heat stirring occasionally.
- Start 2 cups of rice in a medium pot
- Sauté the other half of the onion in the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat.
- Once it turns translucent, add the garlic, ginger, peppers, salt and the curry spices.
- After a few more minutes, add the curry to the lentils.
- Squeeze in the lime.
- Add the tomato.
- Serve and garnish bowls with the rest of the cilantro.
- add red/yellow peppers to the sauté
- use split peas instead of lentils. you'll need to cook them longer until they are soft